Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A new Advent tradition

This Advent, Timothy and I decided to start a new tradition with our family - a Jesse Tree. Timothy's definition of a Jesse Tree is, "a tree with an ornament for every day of Advent, where the ornaments tell the chronological flow of the stories in Scripture." Yesterday's ornament for instance was a mother and child symbolizing Elizabeth and the joy she experienced when she discovered she would be having a son, John. The ornaments and Scripture readings begin in Genesis and end in John. Such a wonderful reminder of the whole of Scripture. I had never heard of a Jesse Tree until teaching at North Shore Christian School while Timothy was in seminary. Some of the teachers had them in their classrooms. So I hunted high and low for ornaments I could print and laminate - check! We already had a small tree, perfect for this project - check! It's been so meaningful for us as a family this year and I'm sure it will be for many years to come.
For more information, see the link below.



http://www.crivoice.org/jesse.html

No comments: